This Scalloped Apple savory side dish is one of my favorite Fall Recipes and is always a hit at fall gatherings. It works well at either lunch or dinner. It is so unexpected, yet it is so quick and easy!
I love the flavor contrast of cheese and apples and how they work so well in this dish. The sweet apple slices are layered with tangy cheddar to make an easy, soft side dish that works with just about anything. Use any kind of apple you want and maybe layer them with pear slices if you want it to be even more unique. Enjoy!
- 4 large tart apples, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ Tablespoons flour
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Core and slice apples and place them in a large bowl. Sprinkle cinnamon, flour and sugar over the apples and toss them with your hands until apples are evenly coated.
3. Arrange apples in a 1 ½ quart casserole dish so that they are slightly overlapping. Mix water and lemon juice together in a bowl and pour over the apples (this prevents the apples from browning). Top apples with dots of butter.
4. Cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
5. After the time is up remove the foil and sprinkle cheese evenly over the apples. Recover the dish and return it to the oven. Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until cheese is melted.