There are lots of complicated cookie and candy recipes out there, but I tend to think that the simpler ones are the best and this classic saltine candy is exactly one of those recipes.
This recipe has been around for ages, it always works and everyone loves it. I even make this with my daughter and we sprinkle christmas sprinkles on it to give to her friends for the holidays!
- 40 unsalted saltine crackers
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 12 ounces semis-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sliced almonds or christmas sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Line a 10×15 jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. On the foil line up 40 crackers so that they fit snuggly.
3. Melt butter and sugar together over medium heat in a saucepan. Once it is all melted pour the hot mixture over the crackers. The crackers will “float” at a bit, try to keep them all lined up.
4. Bake for 8 minutes, the mixture will be nice and bubbly.
5. Remove from the oven and immediately scatter the chocolate chips on top. As they begin to melt smooth them with a spatula so that they cover the entire tray.
6. Place pan in the refrigerator until cool and set. At least 2 hours.
7. Break into pieces and serve.