One of the things I love most about summer is the availability of fresh, seasonal greens and other vegetables.
Each week a box of local, seasonal vegetables are delivered to me from my CSA. Undoubtedly, the box is filled with different types of greens and an assortment of other vegetables that are perfect for salad staples. By adding a few interesting flavors and textures I’m able to create the perfect summer salad
Salads can be delicious and filling, chock-full of nutrients and without the extra calories. We have to be careful to add only foods that are healthy and low-calorie or the salad could end up containing more calories then we bargained for. Here’s a simple salad recipe that’s a hit at any barbeque and worth the small amount of effort.
- ]8 cups mixed salad greens (organic if available)
- 2 cups sliced strawberries (organic strawberries if possible)
- 4 nectarines peeled and separated into slices
- ½ cup chopped basil (fresh)
- 1/4 cup chopped and toasted walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup cubed extra firm tofu
- If you want to add cheese I would suggest adding 1 (4-oz.) package crumbled feta cheese
- 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Place all ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- Lightly drizzle dressing over ingredients while tossing at the same time. Continue adding dressing until ingredients are lightly coated.
- Serve and enjoy!
Photo used under Creative Commons from SweetOnVeg/Flickr