Summer is nearly here, and the potluck picnic invitations will be coming in. I always like to have a “signature” dish I bring to certain events, and this scrumptious salad is my go-to salad for summertime parties of all sorts. It simply screams summertime with its delicious sweet and refreshing flavors that adults and kids alike will absolutely love. This chopped salad recipe is a huge crowd-pleaser!
Minty Melon Chopped Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
Whip this sweet and savory salad up for your next potluck, barbecue, or pool party.
- red leaf and butter lettuce, washed, dried, roughly chopped: 5 cups, loosely packed
- mint leaves, washed and dried: ½ cup
- cantaloupe (or other sweet melon), cut into bite-sized pieces: 2 pounds (about ½ of a large melon)
- cucumber, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces: 1½ cups
- avocado, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces: 1½ cups
- red onion, thinly sliced: ¾ cup
- pistachios, shelled, roasted and salted: ½ cup
- honey: 1 tablespoon + 1 tablespoon for the dressing
- cayenne pepper: pinch
- fresh lemon juice: ¼ cup
- Crema Mexicana or sour cream: 1 tablespoon
- whole grain mustard: 1½ teaspoons
- poppy seeds: 1½ teaspoons
- extra virgin olive oil: 2½ tablespoons
- salt and pepper: to taste
Step 1: Add the lettuce, mint, melon, cucumber, avocado, and onion to a large serving bowl.
Step 2: Add the pistachios, 1 tablespoon of honey, and the pinch of cayenne to a small bowl, and mix to combine.
Step 3: Add the coated pistachios to the bowl with the other ingredients and set aside.
Step 4: To make the dressing, combine the lemon juice, cream, mustard, and poppy seeds in a small bowl. Whisk to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Step 5: Drizzle the salad with the dressing, gently toss, and serve.
More Summer Salad Recipes: